I had to do a tonne of research for The Retreat (which I loved
because I’m a loud-and-proud geek), but uh-muh-gah, some of the stuff I found was too much for my little human mind.
Let’s see how well you fare. . .
1. There are 1800 confirmed planets (only eight in our solar system). There are 3000 waiting to be confirmed!
2. One of them …
3. If you could drive straight up, you could reach the beginning of space – the Karman line – in an hour.
4. The sunlight we see today is 30,000 years old
5. The highest known mountain is 3 times the height of Mount Everest and is located on Mars
6. Uhm, don’t go.
7. There are four planets in this solar system counted as ‘gas giants’ and Uranus is one of them…
8. Human mind = blown.
9. The sun shrinks 1.5 metres every hour
10. You have a 1 in 5 billion chance of being killed by space debris…7 people have been hit by meteor fragments.
11. A day on Venus is longer than its year. It takes 243 Earth days to complete one revolution on its axis, yet orbits the sun in 225.
12. Have you read my Tainted Accords series? There are some eerie similarities!
13. Saturn is the second largest planet, but is light enough to float in water.
14. There is a star 1500 times the size of our sun.
16. Fruit flies, mice, monkeys, chimpanzees, guinea pigs, rabbits, fogs, reptiles, and a dog have been to space, but you haven’t.